Dipl.-Ing. Benjamin Krank
- Room 1203
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: +49 (0) 89 289 15252
- Fax: +49 (0) 89 289 15301
- WS 2017/18: Engineering Mechanics 3
- SS 2017: Engineering Mechanics 2
- SS 2017: Finite Elements in Fluid Mechanics
- SS 2016: Finite Elements in Fluid Mechanics
- SS 2015: Finite Elements in Fluid Mechanics
- SS 2014: Finite Elements in Fluid Mechanics
- since 2013 research associate at the Institute for Computational Mechanics (Lehrstuhl für Numerische Mechanik), Technical University of Munich, Germany
- 2013 Diplom-Ingenieur Luft- und Raumfahrt (Diploma in Aerospace Engineering), Technical University of Munich, Germany
- 2012 Master of Science in Vehicle Engineering, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
- Computational fluid mechanics
- Large eddy simulation
- Wall modeling for turbulent flows
- Discontinuous Galerkin methods for incompressible turbulent flows
- Turbulent fluid-structure interaction
Figure 1. Wall-modeled large-eddy simulation of flow past periodic hills at Re = 10,595
Figure 2. Direct numerical simulation of turbulent channel flow at Re_tau = 590 using INDEXA with a discretization of 131 million degrees of freedom
Articles in peer-reviewed international journals
- B. Krank, M. Kronbichler, W.A. Wall, Direct numerical simulation of flow over periodic hills up to Re_H=10595, submitted.
- B. Krank, M. Kronbichler, W.A. Wall, Wall modeling via function enrichment: extension to detached-eddy simulation, submitted. PDF
- B. Krank, M. Kronbichler, W.A. Wall, A multiscale approach to hybrid RANS/LES wall modeling within a high-order discontinuous Galerkin scheme using function enrichment, submitted. PDF
- B. Krank, M. Kronbichler, W.A. Wall, Wall modeling via function enrichment within a high-order DG method for RANS simulations of incompressible flow, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 86 (2018) 107–129. DOI
- B. Krank, N. Fehn, W.A. Wall, M. Kronbichler, A high-order semi-explicit discontinuous Galerkin solver for 3D incompressible flow with application to DNS and LES of turbulent channel flow, Journal of Computational Physics 348 (2017) 634-659. DOI
- G. Kreiss, B. Krank, G. Efraimsson, Analysis of stretched grids as buffer zones in simulations of wave propagation, Applied Numerical Mathematics 107 (2016) 1-17. DOI
- B. Krank, W.A. Wall, A new approach to wall modeling in LES of incompressible flow via function enrichment, Journal of Computational Physics 316 (2016) 94-116. DOI
Articles in international conference proceedings
- M. Kronbichler, B. Krank, N. Fehn, S. Legat, W. A. Wall, A new high-order discontinuous Galerkin solver for DNS and LES of turbulent incompressible flow, in: New Results in Numerical and Experimental Fluid Mechanics XI pp. 467-477, 2018, contributions to the 20th STAB/DGLR Symposium, Braunschweig, November 8-9, 2016. DOI
- G. Efraimsson, G. Kreiss, B. Krank, Analysis of stretched grids as buffer zones in aero-acoustic simulations in two space dimensions. 22nd International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV22), Florence, Italy, July 12-16, 2015. PDF
- B. Krank, W.A. Wall, A novel approach for wall modeling in LES of wall-bounded high-Reynolds-number flow via function enrichment. in: Direct and Large-Eddy Simulation X, pp. 191-197, Springer, 2018, contributions to the Ercoftac Workshop Direct and Large-Eddy Simulation 10 (DLES10), Limassol, Cyprus, May 27-29, 2015. DOI
- B. Krank, G. Efraimsson, Evaluating stretched grids and introducing black hole layers as alternative non-reflecting buffer zone. In: Collection of Technical Papers of the 19th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Berlin, Germany, May 27-29, 2013, AIAA-2013-2220.
- B. Krank, U. Ohlsson, A. Hedlund, L. Nordström, T. Englund, P. Göransson, Tuning spot weld models for vehicle body structural dynamics. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering (ISMA2012), Leuven, Belgium, September 17-19, 2012. PDF
- B. Krank, M. Kronbichler, S. Legat, N. Fehn, W.A. Wall, Flow over periodic hills: DNS, LES and hybrid RANS/LES using a high-order incompressible discontinuous Galerkin solver. Ercoftac Workshop Direct and Large-Eddy Simulation 11 (DLES11), Pisa, Italy, May 29-31, 2017.
- B. Krank, M. Kronbichler, N. Fehn, W. A. Wall, A high-order discontinuous Galerkin solver for DNS, LES and wall-modeled LES of incompressible flow, iTi 2016 Conference on Turbulence VII, Bertinoro, Italy, September 7-9, 2016.
- B. Krank, M. Kronbichler, W.A. Wall, A discontinuous Galerkin solver for the simulation of incompressible turbulent flow. 11th International Workshop on Variational Multiscale and Stabilized Finite Elements (VMS2016), Magdeburg, Germany, March 16-18, 2016.
- B. Krank, Wall modeling for large-eddy simulation of incompressible flow using function enrichment, invited talk at NAM-Colloquium, Göttingen, January 19, 2016.
- B. Krank, A new wall model for large-eddy simulation within the extended finite element method, invited seminar talk, Göttingen, May 6, 2015.
- B. Krank, W.A. Wall, Wall modeling via function enrichment within a variational multiscale method for large-eddy simulation of high-Reynolds-number turbulent flow. 10th International Workshop on Variational Multiscale and Stabilized Finite Elements (VMS2015), Garching, February 25-27, 2015.
Supervised Student Projects/Theses
- Stefan Legat: Implementation of a direction-dependent sum-factorization algorithm for enriched finite elements, HiWi, 2016.
- Stefan Legat: Advancement of a semi-explicit discontinuous Galerkin approach for simulation of turbulent incompressible flow, Master thesis, 2016.
- Florian Wirth: Improvement of teaching material for course "Finite Elemente in der Fluidmechanik", HiWi, 2016.
- Gurvan Hermange: Extension of an enrichment-based wall model to complex geometries, term paper (Semesterarbeit), 2016.
- Charles Giachetti: Investigation of an enrichment-based wall model applied to a cylinder in turbulent axial flow, term paper (Semesterarbeit), 2016.
- Deniz Bezgin: Investigation of explicit scale-separation approaches for HDG, Bachelor thesis, in German, 2015.
- Matthias Kufner: Investigation of a quadrature scheme for high-gradient enrichments, term paper (Semesterarbeit), in German, 2015.
- Stefan Legat: Development of a coupled Navier-Stokes and scalar transport code in Matlab, HiWi, 2015.
- Markus Koschi: Better consistency of residual-based stabilization for linear finite elements applied to the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations, term paper (Semesterarbeit), 2015.
- Stephan Jäger: Investigation of a wall model for large-eddy simulation of the periodic hill, term paper (Semesterarbeit), 2015.
- Sebastian Büchner: Investigation of subgrid scale models for LES of a generic blood flow, term paper (Semesterarbeit), 2014.